Our family

Our family

Monday, January 2, 2012

Tis the Season

I just have to say that my family and I had a wonderful Holiday Season. I love this time of year because it brings back good memories. I as able to spend time with family. And I really enjoyed watching Evelyn this year. Now that she's 18 months old she really got into ripping the wrapping paper from her gifts. My children are my life and to see they're beautiful little eyes light up with wonder and excitement made my heart swell.
For te first time I was asked to give a talk on Christmas. Scary right? I pondered and agonized for a month on my talk. When it comes to these kinds of things, I tend to put way too much thought into it. I will admit (with hesitance) that I cried through the whole thing. Which for me is thoroughly embarrassing. But I didn't faint or throw up. An achievement for me. :) Anyway I thought I'd post my talk. I hope you enjoy. :)

Xmas Sunday talk

I was actually asked twice to give this talk. Once by bishop Putnam and again by brother wright. And each one have me a different topic. Bishop's topic was "what Christmas means to me" and brother wrights was  "the life of Christ". Instead of asking them which one I should use, I decided I loved them both, and i wanted to combine them.
When I think of Christmas and what today is all about, I always think of Christ. Today is about celebrating the birth of our redeemer. Of our savior. And for me, that's what Christmas is all about.
Growing up my mom always made a big deal out of Christmas. Its her absolute favorite holiday. She'll play Christmas music before thanksgiving is even over. And our Christmas tree, or sometimes 2 trees, was always put up after thanksgiving dinner. Our house would be completely decorated in lights and other things. But there was one, and by far the most important, decoration I remember most. Our nativity set. It was always set up on a cabinet in the dining room. Where everyone could see. And no matter how many times it was broken, mom always glued it back together for the next year.
I have my mom to thank for making Christmas about Jesus Christ. 
For as long a I can remember, my mom has done something called Christmas magic. Each year, among all of our other gifts, was a special one. Each one of us would get the same thing. And with that gift was a scripture. Or a chapter. Whichever she felt inspired to use. Like one year, the scripture was about the stripling warriors. And we each got a pair of camouflage socks. This year the scripture was peter 1:7
"that the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth. Though it be tried with fire might be found unto praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ"
 Ive received many of these special gifts in my life. But theres one that i remember the most. This particular year, the scriptures came out of Matthew chapter 2.
"where is he that is born king of the Jews? For we have seen his star in the east and are come to worship him"
"and when they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy"
And our gift was this beautiful star. When I put it on my tree, I don't think of Santa clause. I don't think ok reindeer or elves or candy canes. I think of my savior. And I am filled with exceeding joy.

There is one song I heard years ago that i fell in love with. Its called "his hands". This song is about christs life and I thought the lyrics would be perfect to add to my talk. I have a few different parts I'd like to read;
"his hands, sermons of kindness, healing men's blindness halting years of pain"
"his hands would serve his whole life through, showing man what hands might do, giving, Ever giving endlessly. Each day was filled with selflessness"
Selflessness.. Jesus Christ was completely selfless. He gave of himself to others even when there were people who thought he shouldn't.
"his hands, lifting a leper, warming a beggar, calling back the dead. Breaking bread, five thousand fed. His hands, hushing contention, pointing to heaven, ever free of sin. Then biding man to follow him"
He spent his life in service of others. The blind man who could suddenly see. How amazing would that be? Or to see your child die, then suddenly have them back. Christ did these things, and he never asked anything in return.
"his hands, clasped in agony as he lay pleading, bleeding in the garden."
"and his hands are trembling. Straining to carry the beam that he'd been nailed to. As he stumbles through the streets, heading towards the hill on which he died."
"he lets them because of love. From birth to death was selflessness" 
Today is about the birth of our Savior. The one and only perfect being there ever was. It's about the birth of the man who spent his time on this earth in the service of his heavenly father and his fellow man.
Today is about the birth of a little boy, who grew up to be the Savior of the world.
In October, a man named Steve jobbs passed away after a long illness. And his final words on earth are what I'd like to close with. Because they're the same words I would use when thinking of christ's life.
He said "oh wow, oh wow, oh wow"
I ask that we all  remember the real reason for today.
I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment