Our family

Our family

Friday, December 24, 2010

My companion...

I had a sad thing happen on Tuesday. My wonderful dog passed away. I've been really sad because of this. I never had dogs growing up. We were a cat family. I never really had a dog to call my own until a couple of years ago. We got Max. Our silly, stubborn beagle. And a little while later, we got Bella. A sweet, good tempered dog that I just loved. She was very gentle with Savannah. She was protective of our family. She was always excited to see us. She found herself a place in my heart.
I woke up Tuesday morning and she was sick. I didn't know what was wrong. She couldnt move, not even to lift her head. I tried putting liquids in her, and they all came back up. I was able to talk to a vet, and the vet told me what was wrong with her. She had something called pyometra. It's an infection in the uterus. And very costly to fix. I didnt have the money, and vets won't take payments. Isn't that sad? If left untreated, pyometra will cause kidney failure. By tuesday night she was having seizures. She kept moaning and I knew she was in a lot of pain. I made a hard decision. I knew she didn't have much longer. I was afraid that my daughter would have to wake up to a dead dog. I couldn't do that to her. So I made the decision to release her from her pain. I didn't have the strength to do it myself. My brother in law said he would. They live accross the street. And as I was carrying my Bella over, she passed away. As much as it hurts, I am glad that it was quick.
I do miss her being around. She was always so happy to see us. She loved to get attention. Bella wasn't just a pet. To me, she was a part of our family.

3 comments:

  1. Kate I'm so sorry for your loss. Dogs in our family were never 'just pets' either ~ they were family, so i can totally empathize. I'm glad Bella didn't suffer longer, that truly is a blessing. My love you to and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thin it is just as hard to lose a dog sometimes as it is to lose a friend or a family member because so many people have pets that are like friends and family. Sally is the same way with me. I treat her like a daughter. I may not clothe her or stuff like that, but she is very close to me. I feel you loss. I love you and your post brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate I am so sorry. I've never had to deal (first hand) with our pets dying when I was growing up. But now that I will be the parent, I know that I will have to face the future with Mya and Roxy. Bella was lucky to have a mama like you. You are so strong and I admire you so much.

    ReplyDelete